Monday, February 13, 2012

D.I.Y Wall Planter with Mason Jars



I love Not just a housewife's  Blog. She makes all these wonderful creative crafts and furniture by hand. She is truly talented. I saw her Wall hanger on pinterest and fell in love. I had to have it. So about $40 later it has procured a permanent spot in my dining room. Here are the step by step instructions how to make it.

Things you'll need:

1 2X4 board of whatever wood you like. (I choose a rustic rough look)
6 wide mouth mason jars. (target carries these in the baking section)
6 pipe clamps big enough to fit and tighten around the mason jars.
6 small wood screws
4 long wood screws
6 plants of your choosing. (I choose herbs and moss)
1 small bag of potting soil
landscaping rocks

To start off you'll need to cut the board in two separate pieces. I just laid out the three mason jars on the wood with the spacing I wanted and went from there.  We used a Jig Saw to cut the wood.

After cutting the wood, figure out your spacing again and hold the place with a pipe clamp. There is probably an easier way to drill the pipe clamp to the wood but we just used small wood screws and drilled the crap out of them. They were so stubborn!

(this is what it should look like at this point)

Do the same thing with the other board. I placed both pieces next to each other so I could compare spacing.

( If you need any web/graphic design, or music mixed, my SO does it. www.mindframempire.com)


Once everything is screwed on the board, you'll need to figure out where to want to put it in your house. 

 This is the wall before. Super white and bare.....

 We staggered ours, but you can put them however you'd like. :)

To hang on the wall we used a stud finder and drilled the boards with long wood screws onto the wall directly. If you don't have a stud finder you can use any picture hanging hardware or use anchors.

After it was hung, I filled up the jars with rocks for aeration. If you don't have some form of aeration, there is a high risk of mold and mildew growing under the dirt. I got the rocks from my backyard. They are just plain landscaping rocks. I put about 8 rocks in each jar. 


Place the dirt on top of the rocks, about 3/4 the way up. Leave some room for the dirt that the plant is in already.

Next put the plants in the jars and fill up to the brim with remaining dirt.

All you have to do now is hold the mason jar in the pipe clamp and use a Flathead to tighten.

VOILA!!
 
you have yourself a one of a kind wall planter. :)




0 comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!